Network Nightmares: Solving the Diagnostic Distress
Regional Automotive Technical and Diagnostic Training Event: a real-world, hands-on approach to successful and productive network diagnostics
INSTRUCTORS: Gary Smith and Adam Robertson
DATES: June 13th, 2023 (Tuesday) and June 15th, 2023 (Thursday), Dinner 5:45 – 6:15 PM, Class 6:15 – 9:30 PM
LOCATION: Virginia Auto Service, 386 E. Virginia Ave, Phoenix, AZ 85004
BRING YOUR LAPTOPS FOR THIS CLASS, LARGE E-WORKBOOK AND SAMPLE WAVEFORMS ARE PROVIDED
• Please download Waveform Work File for your class in advance by clicking here.
• Please download Pico 7 software to your laptop prior to arrival at the class here (select Pico 7 Stable for your OS).
• Download link of your class e-Workbook will be provided after signup is complete.
There is no doubt that data communications and network issues are amongst the most difficult, time consuming and costly diagnostics that we encounter. Factory scan tools offer expanded testing techniques that are manufacturer specific, but even those dedicated software platforms are not enough to accurately diagnose these problems in many cases.
Network problems fall into several categories: codes and multiple communication DTCs, module errors, vehicle wiring and component faults, intermittent ugliness and more. This class is designed to provide the attendee with unique diagnostic strategy and new approaches toward network and communication issues. In this class, we share the road maps that we have learned and developed over many years of study and application on the DiagNation support hotline. Topics will include:
• Network theory, configuration and components
• Construction and theory of operation of the various sections of CAN that we analyze in the physical layer
• Single and dual wire, ethernet, fiber optic, wireless and the rules that make them work
• Network “wake-up” strategies and wakeup waveform analysis
• How the protocol language actually means something to us in the waveform
• The terminated network bus lines and diagnosing this quickly and accurately
Learn the physical rules that make any network function as well as waveform interpretation and analysis
Vehicle communications networks are simply radios, broadcasting and receiving via a balanced antenna (the twisted pair bus lines). Learn how viewing and testing communications faults by segregating the circuit into transceiver and antenna can help demystify the technology and help to target your next step accurately.
Blend the theory parts (predictable and provable by physical laws) with actual waveform analysis and connect the dots in your approach and on-car strategy for network diagnostics. Terminated bus lines and the CAN node operation are covered and how this directly relates to useful interpretation of your scope waveform analysis. Knowledge is power.
• Waveform interpretation, serial decoding, math channels, XY views, masks, alarms and more
• Each topic will be backed up with real case studies to re-enforce the strategies used
• Network topology designs and their operational strategies
• Learn unique application of scan tools and lab scope together, our diagnostic “tips ‘n tricks”
If you want to UP your diagnostic game, DO NOT MISS THIS CLASS!